- AT&T Labs, Technology Leader, Human-Computer Interface Research Department, 2000-2003
- AT&T Labs, Division Manager, Human-Computer Interface Research Department, 1996–2000
- AT&T Bell Laboratories, Division Manager, Human-Computer Interface Research Department, 1994–1996
- AT&T Bell Laboratories, Member of Technical Staff, Linguistics Research Department, 1985–1994
- Percy K. and Vida L. W. Hudson Professor of Computer Science, Columbia University, 2013–
- Chair of Computer Ccience, Columbia University, 2012–
- Professor of Computer Science, Columbia University, 2002–
- Smith College, Assistant Professor of History, 177-82.
- Smith College, Instructor in History, 1974-77.
- Founding fellow, Association for Computational Linguistics
- Fellow, American Association for Artificial Intelligence, 1994
- Fellow, International Speech Communication Association, 2008
- Fellow, Association for Computing Machinery, 2016
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2017
- Member, National Academy of Engineering, 2017
- Elected to American Philosophical Society, 2014
- James L. Flanagan Speech and Audio Processing Award, IEEE, 2011
- ISCA Medal for Scientific Achievement, 2011
- Columbia Engineering School Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Teaching Award, 2009
- Honorary doctorate, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, 2007
- “Data Selection and Adaptation for Naturalness in HMM-based Speech Synthesis”
Erica Cooper, Alison Chang, Yocheved Levitan and Julia Hirschberg. Interspeech 2016, September. San Francisco, CA.
- “Babler - Data Collection from the Web to Support Speech Recognition and Keyword Search”
Gideon Mendels, Erica Cooper and Julia Hirschberg. ACL WAC-X 2016, August. Berlin, Germany.
- “Combining Acoustic-Prosodic, Lexical, and Phonotactic Features for Automatic Deception Detection,” Sarah Ita Levitan, Guozhen An, Min Ma, Rivka Levitan, Andrew Rosenberg and Julia Hirschberg. Interspeech 2016, September. San Francisco, CA.
- 2015. J. Hirschberg and C. D. Manning, Advances in natural language processing, Science Magazine, 349(6):261-266.
- “Acoustic-Prosodic Entrainment in Slovak, Spanish, English and Chinese: A Cross-Linguistic Comparison,” Rivka Levitan, Stefan Benus, Agustin Gravano and Julia Hirschberg. SIGDIAL 2015, September. Prague, Czech Republic.
- 2011. Agustın Gravano and Julia Hirschberg, “Turn-taking cues in task-oriented dialogue,”
Computer Speech and Language, 25(3):601-634